Zucchini Parmesan Recipe- Learn with Experts: Easy work, big reward: that’s what this Zucchini Parmesan recipe is all about. Just cut the zucchini into thin slices and add sliced cheese and either store-bought or homemade pasta sauce on top. Put everything in the oven and heat it up until it melts and bubbles. Comfort food that is good for you and low in carbs? I’m in!
Zucchini Parmesan Recipe- Learn with Experts
- This recipe for zucchini parmesan has that special comfort that can only come from baked tomato sauce and cheese. Different from other recipes, this one makes an Italian dish that is lighter.
- It keeps you warm and cozy without being too heavy.
- Like with my Eggplant Parmesan, I don’t bread and fry it. Instead, I make a gluten-free, low-carb version of the original. But don’t worry—I kept all the cheesy goodness!
- However, zucchini has its own story to tell, even though it tastes like eggplant casseroles like Greek Moussaka or Eggplant Lasagna. It stays very light when it’s roasted, but it gets sweet and slightly browned, and the texture gets soft and smooth.
- When mozzarella and parmesan are mixed together, they make a beautiful dish that is salty, creamy, and full of umami.
- It also takes in and plays with the delicate tastes of a simple tomato sauce.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 6 to 7 medium zucchini (about 2 ½ pounds) trimmed and cut into ¼-inch thick slabs
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1 ½ cups red pasta sauce, homemade or your favorite store-bought
- 6 to 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, torn or sliced
- ¾ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Handful basil leaves, torn, for garnish
- Prepare yourself. Put one rack in the middle of the oven and one in the upper third. Warm up to 400°F. A big sheet pan and a 9-by-13-inch baking dish should both be oiled with olive oil.
- Cook the zucchini in a pan. Put the zucchini on the baking sheet in a single layer. The slices can touch, but they shouldn’t go over each other. Put kosher salt and black pepper on top of the zucchini slices, and then brush them with olive oil.
- Bake. Put the zucchini on the middle rack and cook for about 15 minutes, or until they are soft and somewhat bendable. They don’t need to be fully cooked. Take it out of the oven, but leave it on. Use a paper towel to gently pat the zucchini to get rid of any extra water.
- Put the zucchini parmesan dish together. Cover the bottom of the baking dish with about ½ cup of the sauce. Cover the sauce with a single layer of zucchini slices. Add about a third of the mozzarella and ¼ cup of the chopped parmesan on top. Do the same thing twice more, and then put the last piece of zucchini on top to finish.
- Bake and then grill. Put the baking dish in the middle of a hot oven rack and bake for about 20 minutes, or until the zucchini is soft and the cheese is melting. Move the baking dish to the top rack to add a little more color. Watch what’s going on in the oven while it broils. After about two minutes, when the top is golden brown, take it out of the oven.
- Rest. The zucchini parmesan should be taken out of the oven and left to cool for an hour or two.
- Before you serve, cut the zucchini parmesan into 12 pieces. This will help the cheese and liquids settle. Serve with the torn basil on top.
- Calories: 92.8kcal
- Carbohydrates: 5.8g
- Protein: 6.5g
- Fat: 5.3g
- Saturated Fat: 2.9g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1.4g
- Cholesterol: 16.6mg
- Sodium: 351.3mg
- Potassium: 369mg
- Fiber: 1.4g
- Sugar: 3.7g
- Vitamin A: 478.5IU
- Vitamin C: 19.7mg
- Calcium: 146.8mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
If you like this Article about Zucchini Parmesan Recipe- Learn with Experts please share this Article with your friends and family members.