Delicious Caramel Candy Recipe – Step by Step Guide: This soft and chewy homemade caramel candy recipe are a treat you’ll reach for again and again. This simple candy recipe is great for giving to family and friends.
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups light Karo syrup
¼ teaspoon table or fine salt
2 cups (1 pint) heavy whipping cream , at room temperature
½ cup salted butter , cubed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line a 9×13-inch baking dish with parchment paper or liberally grease and put aside so it is ready. Fill a small glass with ice water.
- In a large, stainless steel pot, whisk together the sugar, Karo syrup, and salt over medium-high heat until bubbling the sugar has dissolved. In a very slow trickle, whisk in the cream, being careful not to stop boiling. Whisk in the butter.
- Whisking constantly, keep the mixture at a boil 15 to 20 minutes, or until the temperature on a candy thermometer reads 240°F to 245°F (firm ball stage). To be certain the caramel is ready, drizzle 1 teaspoon into the ice water.
- Roll it between your fingers and if it forms a firm (yet pliable and little sticky) ball, it’s ready. If it’s still liquid, keep boiling and whisking.
- Immediately remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla. Then pour into the baking dish. Don’t let it overcook or the caramels will be too hard. Let sit on the counter to cool and until set. Usually, I will make in the evening and let sit overnight.
- Once set, use a buttered or plastic knife to cut into 12 vertical rows, Cut 4 caramels from each row. Cut wax paper into 3×6-inch squares and then wrap the caramel inside. Caramels will stay soft for 2 to 3 weeks.