For the Tomato Topping:
- 4 to 5 ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
For the Balsamic Glaze:
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
For the Bruschetta Base:
- Baguette or Italian bread, sliced into 1/2-inch thick pieces
- Olive oil for brushing
- 1 clove garlic, peeled (for rubbing on the bread)
1. Prepare the Tomato Topping:
a. In a medium-sized bowl, combine diced tomatoes, red onion, minced garlic, and chopped fresh basil.
b. Drizzle extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the mixture.
c. Season with salt and black pepper according to your taste.
d. Gently toss the ingredients until well combined.
e. Allow the tomato topping to marinate for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors meld.
2. Make the Balsamic Glaze:
a. In a small saucepan, combine balsamic vinegar and honey (or maple syrup).
b. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat.
c. Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the glaze thickens.
d. Remove from heat and let it cool.
3. Prepare the Bruschetta Base:
a. Preheat your oven broiler or grill.
b. Brush the sliced bread with olive oil on both sides.
c. Place the bread slices under the broiler or on the grill until they are lightly toasted on both sides.
d. Remove the bread from the heat and rub one side with the peeled garlic clove.
4. Assemble the Bruschetta:
a. Spoon a generous amount of the tomato topping onto each toasted bread slice.
b. Drizzle a small amount of the balsamic glaze over the top.
c. Optional: Garnish with additional fresh basil.
d. Serve immediately and enjoy your homemade Mellow Mushroom-inspired bruschetta!
This recipe is a delightful appetizer that captures the essence of Mellow Mushroom’s bruschetta. Feel free to adjust the quantities and ingredients to suit your taste preferences.